Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Todays thoughts.....

Today in Counseling Theory and Method, our professor asked us why we wanted to go into the field of counseling. I have totally thought about this, but she encouraged us to look deeper than we had before. My initial response was that I cared for people and wanted to help them because I had been through some things that I thought I could help others through as well. This was my reasoning when I became a psych major, and it is still true. But my reasoning now is definitely deeper and more clear to me know.

If you have read this blog, you know I have been going to counseling since I was in 9th grade. At that particular time in my life, counseling did not mean much to me. Dr. S was not my favorite person and I actually kind of hated her, despite the fact she was very helpful. I have been seeing a counselor in college as well, and it has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

I have seen a growth and development within myself through the lens of counseling. I have reached a place where I am very happy with who I am. I want to see people get to that place. Everyone is genuinely good despite the idea of Original Sin and the Fall. All people have a purpose and great potential that they could reach if they are willing to do so. I want to help people reach this potential.

I wish I could say that the way I will do this in my life is as a licensed professional counselor or something of the sort, but I don't know. I like the idea, but I have something else thats been tugging at my heart for a while now. That whole 'I want to be a nun' thing has not gone away but continue to grow. As frustrating as scary as this idea is, I love it. It is going to be a long journey, the journey into the real world after college. And I still don't have the answers. I wonder if I will look back on this blog as a counselor or nun and wonder if I made the right decisions......

No comments: