Monday, February 18, 2013

How do you Solve a Problem like Maria?

Plinky prompt: When you were five, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did it happen? I know this one may seem cliche, but I have a cute story and it has really influenced my life thus far.

I am not sure exactly what age this was (somewhere between three and five) but I wanted to be a nun. I don't think I fully understood what this meant but when my father asked me why I wanted to be a nun, this was my reply: "Because I want to pray and sing all day like Maria." I was talking about Maria from the Sound of Music. I absolutely loved that musical (I still do)! It was the first musical I saw on Broadway and the only think I remember about it was not wanting to walk back to the hotel after the show so different people took turns carrying me. Anyway, I use to put the things that cover the arms of the couch on my head and walk around  singing "how do you solve a problem like Maria?".

I moved away from that idea as I got older. I wanted to me a journalist for National Geographic. Then I wanted to be a music teacher. Now I'm studying psychology and religion in the hopes of becoming a clinical psychologist someday. The idea of becoming a nun really never left my mind, rather it was shoved in the background. Before the end of my senior year of high school the idea resurfaced and I though a lot about the religious life. It was a drastic change from the wanting to going to college and study psychology. To some extent, wanting to join a convent was my way of trying to control the changes I was about to face in my life. Also to some extent, wanting to a nun was more than just a desire, it felt like something I was meant to do. But obviously devoting ones life to a religious vocation takes a lot of discernment.

Hence the reason why I am in college with the intent of reeving a degree in both religious studies and psychology. I also have a lot of things I want to do with my life that I would not be able to do while confined in the walls of a convent. I want to travel and I want to help people through clinical psych. Becoming a nun is not a goal I specifically aiming for at this point in my life, but it is still something I think about. I think that someday (when I am much older) it could become a possibility. Who knows, life is so unpredictable but everything happens for a reason. Maybe wanting to be a nun at the age of five is a sign or maybe it's just a cute story.

No comments: