Sunday, November 2, 2008

RENT: NO DAY BUT TODAY

I have so much on my mind I should write about, but I just need to forget about all the stress in my life and write about something that I love so much: the musical RENT. For those of you unfortunate souls who haven't seen Rent, it is a powerful rock opera based on the famous french La Boheme (The Bohemian Life) It is about 7 (Sort of 8, but the 8th person is basically a reject.) bohemians (starving artists) that live in NYC's East Village, struggling to pay their rent. (Hence, the tittle.) Everyone of them has their own struggles to cope with, varying from sexuality, drug addiction, and Aids. It sounds like a very inappropriate movie, but believe me it is an amazing film (and musical) about love, friendship, and life as an artist.
The characters are as followed:
Mark Cohen,a struggling documentary filmmaker, the
narrator of the show and the person who creates a final movie which details his friends' lives and journeys throughout the story. Ex-boyfriend of Maureen. Roommate of Roger.

Roger Davis, an
HIV-infected musician who is recovering from heroin addiction; his girlfriend April killed herself after finding out she and he had HIV; Mark's roommate and Mimi's love interest.
Tom Collins, a
gay philosophy teacher and anarchist with AIDS; friend and former roommate of Roger, Mark, Benny, and Maureen; Angel's lover.
Mimi Márquez, an HIV-positive exotic dancer and
heroin junkie; Roger's love interest who used to be involved with "Benny" Coffin III. (I got my name MimiX from her. Not because I do heroin or strip, but because she changes so much in the movie and has the unique out look on life: No Day But Today, which becomes the movies theme.)
Angel Dumott Schunard, a
gay drag queen street percussionist/musician with AIDS; Collins' lover.
Joanne Jefferson, an Ivy League-educated
lawyer; Maureen's lover; lesbian.
Maureen Johnson, a
lesbian, performance artist; Joanne's girlfriend; Mark's ex-girlfriend.
Benjamin "Benny" Coffin III,
landlord of Mark, Roger and Mimi's apartment building; ex-roommate of Mark, Collins, Roger, and Maureen. Now married to Alison Grey of the Westport Greys and thus considered a yuppie sell-out. (He is the reject.)
Now, the theme No Day But Today really means a lot to me because it is something that I really try to live up to. It basically means live this moment as your last and live your life to the fullest, which is something I think everyone should try to do.
The writer of this musical, Johnathan Larson, died the day before his own creation would have first opened off Broadway. I find this painfully ironic and sad. If you listen to the music of Rent and do some research on Larson, you will see how much the lyrics to the songs connect with his death, it is as if he wrote is own memorial. Very sad. He died of Marfan syndrome, which was very sudden. I believe he is a pure genius for writing something as beautiful as RENT.
This is such a great musical, so powerful and if you haven't seen it I suggest you do. I strongly suggest you do. If the by the last scene you feel no emotion about the whole story, then you must have a heart of stone...
Some of my fav quotes from RENT:
"There's only now, there's only here, give in to love, or live in fear. No other path, no other way, no day but today."

"Loves not a three way street, you'll never share true love until you love yourself. I should know."
"Give into love, or live in fear."
"Merry Christmas bitches!"
"Actual reality! Act up! Fight AIDS!"
"I think they meant it when they said you can't buy love. Now I know you can rent it, a new lease you are my love - on life... be my life"
They call me... They call me... Mimi...
MimiX

No comments: